Recently, I got opportunity to go through an Excellent Leadership book named – “Good to Great” by Jim Collins. Jim and his fellow researchers put five-year research effort to explore the leadership that transformed good companies to great. I got amazed by excellent narration of the Level 5 Leadership in 300 page book.
It is my pleasure to give some pointers about the Level 5 Leadership for our leadership growth benefit.
* Level 5 leader is an individual who blends extreme personal humility with intense professional will
Hence, the equation is HUMILITY + WILL = LEVEL 5
* Level 5 leaders are the one who takes companies from good results to great results
* Getting right people and creating a culture of discipline (which consists of disciplined people, disciplined thought & disciplined action) are important factors along with Level 5
* Level 5 leader should possess capabilities of of all lower levels along with Level 5 characteristics
* An individual can show Level 5 Leadership & it is not necessary to move from one level to another
* Level 5 framework is like a flywheel in which transformation process buildup momentum, reaches breakthrough & sustaining those great results.
The Level 5 Hierarchy
Level 1 – Highly Capable Individual – Makes productive contributions through talent, knowledge, skills, and good work habits
Level 2 – Contributing Team Member – Contributes to the achievement of group objectives; works effectively with others in a group setting
Level 3 – Competent Manager – Organizes people and resources toward the effective and efficient pursuit of predetermined objectives
Level 4 – Effective Leader – Catalyzes commitment to and vigorous pursuit of a clear and compelling vision; stimulates the group to high performance standards
Level 5 – Executive – Builds enduring greatness through a paradoxical combination of personal humility plus professional will
Though I tried my level best to present a gist about the Level 5 Leadership, still lot of concepts like First Who, Stockdale Paradox, The Hedgehog Concept, A Culture of Discipline, Technology accelerators are available in the book.
1. Jim Collins Website – http://www.jimcollins.com/
2. Collings, Jim, “Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap… and Others Don’t”, RANDOM HOUSE BUSINESS BOOKS
3. Collins, Jim, “Level 5 Leadership: The Triumph of Humility and Fierce Resolve”, July-August, 2005