Book readers follow different technique to navigate a Self-Help books. Out of different techniques I followed in past 8 years, I found one easy and powerful technique to get maximum benefit out of a book in shorter span of time. It is called – “SHIFT” technique. I came across this technique in “Leading with GRIT” by Laurie Sudbrink.
Here are the 5 SHIFT steps you need to remember when you read your next book:
- Scan the chapter
- List the topics that resonated with you. I use Mind Maps to list down the topics.
- Hone in on one or two areas that will make the biggest impact for you
- Extend the mind map with area name
- Imagine the impact. Why is this important? How will you feel when you’ve accomplished this?
- Capture these information in the mind map branches
- Figure out your plan and how you will stay on track
- Planning is needed to get the maximum benefit
- Take action
- Start now. Schedule it now and include your follow-up
Try it. Adapt it.