One of my blog reader asked me following question – “identify the principles, methods and techniques used for scoping a project?” In reply I wrote a mail explaining all the methods & techniques that is generally practiced for scoping of project. I am sharing the mail content here for everyone’s benefit.
- Project Scope should cover everything that satisfies the customer need
- Arriving final approved scope is very challenging task among all the activities in Project Management
- Defining & Managing Scope is the backbone for Project Management
- It is not a single person’s activity & it involves a group of people mainly project stakeholders. Lot of group interactions will be carried out during the requirement gathering & defining scope
- Scoping is so vital which affects all other important factors in Project like schedule (hence delivery), cost, resources and risks
- Generally high level of scope is available as part of Project Charter
- Enough time need to be given to prepare & review for project scope before approval. Also any scope change after approval is going to affect the Project’s outcome
- It is not necessary that entire project scope should be defined & available at the start of a project. It is progressively elaborated.